The aim of the SCHEMA Network of Excellence
is to bring together a critical mass of industrial partners, end users, universities and research centres in order to improve the systematic exchange of information by the forging of links between partners. The SCHEMA Network of Excellence will create a synergy and a multiplier-effect enriching the capabilities of the group of partners by bringing together complementary skills and know-how.
The following new research topics, activities and standards will be investigated in the SCHEMA Network:
- Access to the information using query structures that come naturally to human beings,
- Retrieval processes which understand the nature of the information in the database,
- Content-based multimedia analysis,
- Copyright issues of multimedia,
- New methods for multimedia access and delivery,
- Semantic web technologies,
- MPEG-7 and MPEG-21 standards,
- User interfaces and human factors.
Thus, common R&D agendas will be developed and new technical road maps will de drawn in these areas, so that European expertise and research excellence are strengthened and disseminated worldwide.